Do you know that our eyes are a fascinating yet complex organ of our body? They are located in the front of your head, working together to give you vision, depth and colour perception.
Our eyes are made of multiple structures, including:
- Cornea - the clear, dome-shaped outer surface of the eye that helps to focus light. Cornea is also on of the key structure that affects myopia.
- Iris - the coloured part of the eye that surrounds the pupil and controls the amount of light that enters the eye.
- Pupil - the black circular opening in the centre of the iris that allows light to enter the eyes
- Lens - a clear, flexible structure located behind the iris that helps to focus light on the retina
- Retina - a thin, light-sensitive layer of tissue located at the back of the eye, which convert light into electrical signal that are sent to the brain
- Optic nerve - a bundle of nerve fibers that helps to carry the visual from the retina to the brain
- Vitrerous humoiur - a transparent, gelatinous tissues fillling the space behind the lens. It helps to maintain the shape of the eye
- Sclera - the tough, white outer layer of the eye that protects the delicate structure inside
Like any part of our body, our eyes can too contract some diseases such as:
- Age-related Macular degeneration (AMD)
- Diabetic retinopathy
- Dry eye syndrome
- Retinal detachment
Many of these eye diseases can be prevented and managed with early detection and proper treatment. It is thus, important to have regular eye-examination and practice good eye hygiene to reduce the risk of developing such eye diseases.
An eye-health examination is important because:
- Early detection of eye diseases. Early intervention can help to minimze the risk of vision loss caused by such diseases.
- Update prescription for spectacles or contact lenses. Wearing outdated prescription can cause eye strain, headaches etc.
- Prevention of eye strain and eye fatigue
Do you know that other than a visit to the hospital or eye-centre, some of the optical outlets in Singapore do provide such comprehensive eye-health examinations that can help to detect eye-diseases?
Visit us at Alexis @ Paragon or Nanyang Optical @ Junction 8 for a comprehensive eye-health check.